[geeks] Swords (real ones this time)

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Nov 8 16:49:59 CST 2003

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 09:13:19AM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> BTW, I looked at the photos again this morning (with eyes unspoilt by
> beer) and I think I can see 3 distinct temper lines (actually two
> lines, three areas of differing temper) that run the entire length of
> the blade.  If that's true, I'm even more impressed.

The Practical Katana doesen't have the pretty wavy hamon that the
Practical Plus Katana does, it's differentially tempered and just
has a straight temper line.

Here's some better pictures of a PK, from the guy I bought mine from:

http://www.j-armory.com/PK.htm

The main difference between the PK and the PPK is that the PPK uses a slightly
different tempering process, and it has a proper traditional handle held in
place by bamboo pins.  The handle on the PK has a single pin, and is glued
(epoxied) in place.  You *can* remove the handle on a PK (to, say, replace
it with one you built yourself), but you have to destroy the existing one to
do so.  Other than the peg-vs-glue and the different tempering process, though,
the PK and PPK blades are the same (geometry and size).  I got my PK for
$140+tax; the PPK runs about $100 more.

Here's some pictures (not mine; from a guy on swordforum.com) of a PPK
(top) and a Cold Steel katana:

http://www.mrbill.net/sword/ppk-vs-coldsteel/

Bill

--