[geeks] Oh my, MS is really afraid of lawyers...

James james at jdfogg.com
Mon May 19 13:38:03 CDT 2003

> > The move suggests that the deep-pocketed software company sees SCO's
> > patents as important and could prompt other companies to sign license
> > agreements to avoid legal action.
> >
> > http://computerworld.com/newsletter/0,4902,81346,00.html?nlid=AM
> >
> I don't buy that statement at all.  I'm leaning toward "MS has been
> engineering this suit against IBM and other companies by SCO all
> along, and
> this purchase of licenses is thier method of funding SCO's
> activites without
> seeming to be supporting them."

I had suspected MS behind the SCO shit for a long time, but I actually
believe that this has to do with Microsoft's acquisition of Vicinity. We are
a huge user of Linux and it is possible that MS wanted to avoid being a
really big target. MS will have to continue on the LInux platform for 2
years.

MS would make a lovely "poster child" defendant.

But this doesn't discount that MS is involved.