[geeks] new disk in my octane

Rob Fielding rob at dsvr.net
Mon May 19 07:38:15 CDT 2003

> 36-gigger is just that much faster than these other
> drives.

Disk model and diskperf results would be nice :)

My 10,000 rpms are 18GB Cheetahs and they are pretty nice at ~15MB/sec each - pretty nice for dealing with raw video, not pretty nice compared to
anything more modern such as IDE 100/133. They are all SCSI-2 disks so now rank as being quite 'old'.

I believe some of our new server SCSI drives are kicking out something in the order of 50MB/sec for 10,000 rpm and 70MB/sec for 15,000 rpm. I haven't
verified any of these myself but they sound in-line with IDE 100 and /way/ over my Octane - but it sounds like one of these drives would smoke my
Octanes 40MB/sec SCSI2 bus. Pitty the 030-1467-00x mobos didn't come with Ultra SCSI2.

Does anyone know if SCSI-2 Ultra / 160 / 320 controllers provide faster transfers themselves over preceeding SCSI versions ? I figured they just
offered greater bandwidth and it was the disks which provided the basic transfer rates.

Cheers,

--

Rob Fielding
Development 	Designer Servers Ltd 	www.dsvr.co.uk