[geeks] new disk in my octane

Rob Fielding rob at dsvr.net
Sat May 17 13:14:33 CDT 2003

Kurt Huhn wrote:

>Just in case you were wondering, as if it wasn't ovious to begin with, a
>fast disk in your Octane will speed up the entire system - dramaticly.
>
>I still have my 9GB system disk in there, but I moved all of /usr/people
>and all of /usr/freeware to a new 10k 36GB disk (I've always used a
>seperate 4GB disk for swapfiles and some temporary storage).  Not only
>are file reads/writes in my home dir faster, but any software I put in
>/usr/freeware is tons faster to load and run.  Yes, noticably faster.

Have you also tried this :

http://reality.dsvr.net/irix/depot/fx_speed.txt

write buffering seems to be off on SGI supplied drives, additionally
quantum drives aren't so hot.

http://reality.dsvr.net/irix/depot/disk_speed.txt

Some further comparisons :

http://reality.dsvr.net/irix/depot/fx_speed-2.txt

If you don't care about atimes,  adding noatime to your fstab also works
too.

(apologies the depot articles aren't really categorised much - they were
merely documented musings back in Jan and I haven't gotten round to
putting all the data into more concise reports).

Cheers,

Rob