[geeks] OpenOffice released for Irix

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sun May 11 11:35:01 CDT 2003

Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> OK, I'm new to Irix - I downloaded all 83+ Meg of it, gunzipped it and
> untar'ed it, now I've got an "install" script, and two setup files
> ("setup" and setup.ins")...
>
> How to install this? WHen I do the braindead "# ./install" I get
> unable to create tempnam file (in the /tmp directory)?
>
> I am acting from ignorance, so I assume I am missing something - I
> found no useful guidance on the OpenOffice web page for the port.

I have an easy fix for you.  Use:
./setup
and continue the installation - it's graphical.

What I did was create /opt/openoffice as root and chown it to my
account, then installed OpenOffice there using my account.  Otherwise it
wants to install in your homedir - which can be a good thing if you
don't own the box, but causes clutter on my workstations.

--
Kurt             "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it
kurt at k-huhn.com   would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."