[geeks] Whoo hoo... now this is a nice Linux

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Mon Mar 10 22:27:29 CST 2003

On Monday, March 3, 2003, at 10:27  AM, Caleb Shay wrote:

> Welcome aboard.  I've been using Gentoo for about 6 months.  I too was
> Debian user (for 3 years) before I found Gentoo.  You'll soon find that
> the maintainers are very approachable and helpful too, unlike SOME
> distros.  Most of the action is on irc (irc.freenode.net #gentoo), and
> it's ALWAYS busy in there.
>
> Yes, they do need a boot floppy setup.  I keep meaning to create one
> myself, but I have never gotten around to it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Caleb

Well I got everything on and built... ended up re-doing the kernel 3
times... final kernel I did with everything I wanted as modules and
nothing else....still learning to like modular kernels... so I
installed ALSA, the system is partitioned like this: 384MB swap
/dev/hda1, 100MB boot /dev/hda2 (ext3), and the rest of the 12GB or so
(about 10) as / (xfs).  I installed Gnome 2.2, Metacity, and some nice
themes... did the Larry the Cow boot logo, installed the
gentoo-artwork... then discovered that I can only use the machine as
root.  I fixed the /tmp directory permissions so I can login as other
users, but.... other users get generic icons, the theme manager seg
faults, and galeon does the infinite window trick.... everything works
as root.  I'm wondering if gentoo doesn't set up perms properly.  I am
running 1.4rc3.  I couldn't find anything out about the theme-manager
bug.  I can run it ok if I su root... and run it... but running it as
my normal user account seg faults.  My normal account is also a member
of the following groups... root, adm, wheel, and audio.

Any thoughts?  -- otherwise I love the thing...

P.S. you don't by any chance have a vmware key or know where to get
one... they're a bit too rich for my blood right now, but I need this
laptop as a service tool and only want to run one Winders proggy
anyhow. (well and one DOS one too; Tektronix printer diags)

Andrew