[geeks] SCO sues IBM

Koyote koyote at koyote.cx
Fri Mar 7 12:46:42 CST 2003

"Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> writes:

> On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
>
> > SCO has launched a lawsuit against IBM over Unix IP and has
> > threatened to revoke IBM's license to ship AIX if their
> > demands are not met.
>
> Well, you know, when you can't produce a software product worth the CD
> it's printed on, you have to resort to other methods of revenue.  I
> think SCO's just bitter that no one uses their horribly outdated and
> overpriced OS.

I was discussing this with a friend and we decided that it would make
more sense to take the SCO name, 2 dozen coders, 6 months, and rebuild
the core, adding some binary emulation modes for linux and solaris.

SCO could be fixed, and it has the advantage of a small footprint. Bring
it up to date and open it up a bit- even with a fairly restrictive
license (but make some of the OS source available)- and allow something
like $20 license for the first 4 cpus.

You stand a better chance that way than trying to sue everyone for
"devaluing it" before you even bought it.