[geeks] Re: [rescue] right to die [was: Apple WWDC Summary]

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Jun 27 15:13:45 CDT 2003

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, R. Lonstein wrote:

> Which bail out? Would that be Social Security and Medicaid?

Yep.

> Or are you pointing at public education and social programs?

Those are lower on the list, but, yeah.

> Or maybe you are thinking of the practice of granting broad
> charters to railroads and utilities like telephone companies?

If it costs us money, and only a few people get anything in
return, it's a bad idea.

> Or of selling grazing and mineral rights below market value?

That depends on the scenario.

> Or is it the backing of loans for troubled companies and
> bailing out insolvent banks that bugs you?

Quite a bit, actually.

> Or perhaps you're talking about the price supports for farmers
> and ranchers

I have farmers in my family.  They get paid more to NOT grow food than
they do to grow food.

> and the tariffs imposed on steel and TVs? Be specific.

So long as it's on foreign steel, sure.  We need to keep business here
in the US.

> There is a very, very long line that marches to Washington with
> outstretched hands (and shorter lines to state capitols). Supporting
> some of these might be in the best interest of the State even if it
> isn't in yours.

s/State/politicians/

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren