[geeks] was Re: [rescue] Re: right to die ...

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri Jun 27 12:55:00 CDT 2003

On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 01:44 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> I actually agree with Southwest.  If your ass is too big to fit in one
> seat, and you're going to climb over into the seat next to you, then
> one
> of two things is going to happen:
>
>   1) No one will be able to sit next to you (so you're effectively
>      taking as much room as two passengers).
>   2) The person sitting next to you is going to have a -very- miserable
>      flight.

The fact is that they make no allowances for people who sit next to
their spouse and take a total of 2 seats...It's at least good they
offer you a refund if the flight isn't full.  (Yes we have been
affected by this)...

and on point 2... I'd rather sit with my leg touching someone for a
whole flight than the long 18 hour + flight I took from Taiwan to NY
with two country bumpkin people with bad manners (and spoke no English)
who took off their shoes and pretty much propped up their stinky feet
in my lap (in the arm rest spaces of the next seat... and after meals
belched non-stop for like half an hour (this was a man and a woman).  I
was downing cherry brandies to survive... No sitting next to a large
well-behaved passenger is just dandy...

on point 1... most people who are larger take between 1.1 and 1.3
seats... not 2.  1.3 is pushing the comfort zone... 1.1 is totally
acceptable since the chances of two very large people in adjacent seats
is decreased statistically... all they have to do is a quick seat
shuffle and put a skinny person next to the large person.

But I am tolerant... many people in the world are just grumpy and
intolerant