[geeks] AGP irritations (64bit PCI)

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Thu Jun 26 06:44:24 CDT 2003

It's a "keyed" AGP 4x slot.  The Pro slots are a bit longer than normal(1) AGP slots.  Apparently, some mobos require an AGP 1.5volt card and will be damaged by others, so they have AGP slots that are keyed to only allow 1.5volt cards.

This site sheds some light on the topic.
http://www.directron.com/15agpguide.html

Wasn't there a thread here a while back about how AGP was just a marketing ploy by Intel and that 64bit/66mhz cards would have worked out just fine?

Thanks,
/KRM

(1) if such a thing as "normal" AGP actually existed we wouldn't be having this discussion.

--
keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/