[geeks] FS: Cisco AP350 and 48V Power Supply

Thomas Gallaway tgallaway at comcast.net
Mon Jun 23 11:50:14 CDT 2003

On Monday, June 23, 2003, at 12:42 PM, sammy ominsky wrote:

> On Monday, June 23, 2003, at 12:37 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
>
>> The only other option open to me is significantly boosting 802.11b
>> xmit power, but that makes me a bit nervous.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> If you boost it properly, i.e. with an amplifier and antenna in the
> right combination, there's nothing to fear. If you do it by jacking
> the signal out of band, then you should fear, as you're stepping on
> toes. It's not likely someone will come looking for you because of it,
> but if they come looking, they'll find you and fine you, as far as I
> know.
>
> There is an antenna solution for almost every wireless problem, but
> it's not always cheap.

Also a good solution is using for example a Linksys AP and then Linksys
WET11s.
Those are neat devices. They act as a wireless bridge but the cool
thing is they have
fairly decent reception. I use them as repeater's at one of my wireless
clients. I am able
to get the signal and in between is nasty brick and firewalls. Also you
can do funky tricks
like you can bounce wireless signal's outside and off the neighbors
walls back into the
window above.