[geeks] FS: Cisco AP350 and 48V Power Supply

Thomas Gallaway tgallaway at comcast.net
Sun Jun 22 18:27:02 CDT 2003

On Sunday, June 22, 2003, at 07:04 PM, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

>>> That term for an AC adapter just strikes me as quite
>>> funny.
>>> "Okay access point, it's time for your injection..."
>
>> Actually, it could be a "power injector" for power-over-ethernet.
>
> Okay, chalk one up for my ignorance...  but that just
> scares me.  I mean, I'm sure they use "unused pins" and
> all, but I just picture someone using a powered cat 5
> cable for some other device that isn't expecting it...

Did that, done it... nothing happend hehe... Those power injectors get
more and more common. Cisco started it but there are many hacks out
there now so you can build your own injectors or my fav. wireless
supplier
actually builds their own for all the 802.11 gear they sell. I think
they are
pretty sure that it wont hurt any devices especially as cisco is selling
powered switches so I guess there must be some standard.