[geeks] Wireless AP's

Thomas Gallaway tgallaway at comcast.net
Sun Jun 22 13:46:44 CDT 2003

On Sunday, June 22, 2003, at 02:19 AM, vance at neurotica.com wrote:

> Is the Cisco Aironet 350 significantly better than the Linksys WAP11,
> Apple Airport Base Station or IBM High Rate Wireless Access Point?
> Why is
> it so much more money.

The Cisco AP350 has a 100mwatt output by default. Also the firmware of
the access point allows you to do more stuff towards management and
security. The Linksys WAP11 is a nice access point (i have one of my
own)
but for some reason I prefer using the AP350. I just got an Lucent
AP-1000
that i'm setting up a big ass access point here (5foot 12dbi antenna)
so I
can walk down to the local coffee shop and have some coffee while beeing
online ;-). Of course I set up a VPN gateway so that including the
wireless
encryption I'm using I need to vpn into my firewall to get online. I
just dont
trust wireless further than I can throw it.

---Thomas