[geeks] Wireless AP's

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Sun Jun 22 12:30:18 CDT 2003

> > > Is the Cisco Aironet 350 significantly better than the Linksys WAP11,
> > > Apple Airport Base Station or IBM High Rate Wireless Access Point?
> > > Why is it so much more money.
> >
> > I like my WAP11 (in a residential setting), esp. aftr I added thier
> > signal booster (about $80, IIRC). I used to have dead spots due in my
> > house, but now everywhere is great!
>  -Mike Ekholm
>
> I too have a WAP11, and no problems.  I am thinking of moving to 802.11g
> for the improved security i hear it has, but any wireless is good :-)
>
> Its great sitting in the back yard reading slashdot.

I have a WAP11, too, and get much better coverage around
the house than I got with my old AP (an original Apple
Airport), even after adding an external antenna to the
old AP.  Once I did the signal power hack, I got really
good coverage.  I really don't see any need to upgrade
to 802.11g right now, since the speed of 802.11b is
faster than my DSL connection, although the improved
security would be nice.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net