[geeks] Another SGI/Octane question...

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jun 11 08:32:41 CDT 2003

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> With the dual CPU Octane, as soon as I plug in the power cord, it
> starts up, and the lightbar glows red.

Connect a serial console.  If all you get is garbage, your IP30 needs to
be replaced.  Otherwise, it could be something as simple as bad or
mis-seated memory.

> Any ideas what is going on here? Does Red indicate a problem? Is there
> some reason the power switch is being ignored on the second Octane?

Hm.  That -does- sound like the IP30 has gone bad.  Pull the boad, be
VERY careful not to touch or get dust on the connectors that interface
with the front of the machine, and lean on the big heatsink on the board
(NOT the CPU daughtercard) for about a minute.  About 40-50 pounds of
pressure is okay.  If the system boots right up, buy another IP30
(prefereably an 030-1667-xxx) and hang the existing one on the wall as
decoration.  It'll just die on you again.

Google for my name in comp.sys.sgi.hardware.  I had this problem in late
2001, and there's a thread documenting my experience.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren