[geeks] GPS on planes

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 28 20:55:31 CDT 2003

--- Shannon <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 06:02:49PM -0700, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
> > Note: We are in trouble - GPS is important, and I depend on them,
> > as do countless members of the military (the folks that designed
> > and funded GPS).
>
> Hopefully you aren't a ship's navigator.

No, I'm not - but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...

> GPS units are nice, but I think it is dangerous to create a
> generation of military personnel, pilots, or ship crews that
> cannot navigate without them.

You can depend on them and *still* know how to navigate without them

> Convienient, fine... but I think you can see that a ship traveling
> without a capable non-GPS navigator in a GPS blackout is a pretty
> dangerous thing.

A GPS blackout is a very rare thing, I would imagine - most likely
self-imposed...

And how would GPS-equipped missles function?

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall