[geeks] Psychotropics aka anti-depressants, etc

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Sat Jul 26 15:16:34 CDT 2003

On Saturday, July 26, 2003, at 12:30 PM, wa2egp at att.net wrote:
>> I'm all for helping those that need help with drugs, therapy or
>> whatever else is *effective*.  But I do not think giving drugs
>> to kids so their parents and teachers don't have to deal with
>> them is appropriate.
>>
> Hey, don't include me in that blanket statement that teachers
> recommend drugs.  As a teacher, I have never recommended a drug as a
> solution for a child's bad behavior.  Many teachers have complained
> that kids have been given drugs when other solutions would have been
> better.  (I wish I had saved the union newletters where this debate
> raged.)  I have, in rare occasions, suggested professional help (not
> necessarily a doctor) but only in severe cases.
> Bob

As with all things there are good and bad teachers.  You'll note
that I put parents first in that sentence. ;-)  Certainly a hell
of a lot more bad parents in the world than bad teachers, buy
simple arithmatic.  My feeling is, if the parents are good, poor
teachers will not have much affect on the kid of said parents.

It's a good thing I don't like people/gov'ts, etc messing with
me and mine or I might advocate things like licensing/training to
be able to have children and pets. :-/

=Nadine=