[geeks] gps on plane

Thomas Gallaway tgallaway at comcast.net
Sat Jul 26 04:44:01 CDT 2003

That whole thing with electronics on planes does not make any sense at
all. I did fly a lot last year and I a few times had my gps hooked to
my laptop with a mapping software. Was rather cool to see where you are
right now in the air and how fast the car was moving on the map ;-)

So the thing is mostly on flights they ask you to turn off cellphones
and stuff. Now here's my point. A lot of people have 2 way pagers. They
can send/receive. Most people dont turn those off. How about most
electronics transmit something. Ever put a radio near a laptop? There
is so many electronics that transmit something and why would it be bad
to operate an GPS in a plane. I mean am I wrong or not but are the
signals not already out there anyways and the GPS is just picking up
what would be there anyways? Same with radio's. That whole interference
thing is just silly. Does not make any sense in my eye's. I mean I can
understand cellphones and 2-way pager's as they transmit but devices
that receive only.

How about laptop's with built in 802.11b cards?

Anyways time for the airlines to over-think some of their things. I
dont see many improvement after 9/11. Just more of a hassle.

-- Thomas