[geeks] Psychotropics aka anti-depressants, etc

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Wed Jul 23 11:17:13 CDT 2003

On Monday, July 21, 2003, at 07:12 PM, Bryan Fullerton wrote:

> On Monday, Jul 21, 2003, at 20:44 Canada/Eastern, N.Miller wrote:
>
>> One tidbit that's failed to garner much news--at least one
>> of the kids involved in the multiple shooting incidents has
>> been on psychoactive drugs (for ADD, ADHD, etc).
>
> Cite source reference please.

The original information came from here:

<http://www.cchr.org/event/31anni/violence/index.htm>

which I trusted about as far as I could throw, as they are affiliated
with Scientology.  However, I did know, from other sources that people
who don't have brain chemical imbalances can exhibit psychotic behavior
when given psychotropic drugs.  So I started looking at news reports on
all the high profile shootings.  Unfortunately I don't have all those
links; I may have misstated--I'll amend it to "a lot of the kids".

<http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777958.html>

Here are the ones I recall of the top of my head:

Harris, from Columbine, was on Luvox.  He was rejected from enlisting
   in the Marines because of Ritalin use--kids who've *ever* been on
   Ritalin/psychotropics will not be accepted into the military.
   Interestingly,
   Luvox ($5billion/yr in gross sales) was removed from the market by the
   pharm company after they were sued by families of victims at
   Columbine.
Kip Kinkel, Springfield OR, Ritalin and possibly Prozac
TJ Solomon Jr., Conyers GA, Ritalin

I know that a number of the high-profile shootings (not teens) have also
involved pyschotropics.  And there's no telling how many self-violence
incidents involve them.

It's difficult to dig up this information, because, surprisingly, the
cops
don't generally look for it.  There's a lot of misinformation out there.
You really have to make sure to look at who's writing and what their
motivations are--like are they getting any funding from the pharm co's.

The other problem is that we are dealing with the brain.  You apply a
drug to a *disease*, like pnuemonia, you can do more than look at the
external symptoms, and know that it works--you can take blood and see
that the microorganisms are gone from the person.  There's no way to
do that with psychiatric drugs, because what may be perfectly normal
"brain chemistry" for me may not be for you.  And if the patient has
never seen the doctor before their illness, you have no measure of a
baseline.  It's like treatment by trial and error.  But if the patient
and
their immediate circle is not educated as to potential side effects...
error turns into a timebomb.

<http://www.drugawareness.org/Archives/Miscellaneous/MRspiral.html>
The UK recently banned Prozac use for people under the age of 18.

Latest research by less "mainstream" pediatricians indicates that a
connection between the behavioral issues called ADD/ADHD and
nutritional deficiencies.  Kids are more sensitive to micronutrient
deficiencies than adults are because their bodies are still growing.

Anyway, no mention of the "f" or "g" word anywhere. ;-)

=Nadine=
--
  N. Miller
  vraptor at promessage.com