[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Mon Jul 21 17:09:04 CDT 2003

> As far as lies, damned lies, and statistics...most people don't know
> it, but the "missing children" advocates also skew their reported
> statistics.  It's very common for any "child advocate" type statistics
> to report "children" as people between the ages of 0 and 21 (in some
> cases as high as 25) years of age.

One way they skew their reports is to garner info from each homeless shelter
then total the number.  Of course, the time period they chose makes it likely
that a "runaway" has visited several shelters thus being counted as more than
one individual.

> So, yes, it may be that not all crimes are reported (unlikely with
> shootings), or that crimes are misclassified (also unlikely with
> shootings).  But you can go to the DOJ web site and look at the
> FBI's Uniform Crime Reports.  If you are not male, minority and
> between 16 and 25 or so, you are highly unlikely to be the victim of a
> violent crime involving a firearm.

That makes me feel better since I teach in an urban school district (wink).
Bob