[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 18 16:49:10 CDT 2003

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:12:44 -0500
Brian Dunbar <Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com> wrote:
> Mike Meredith [mailto:mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk] on Friday, July 18,
> 2003 2:57 PM said;
>
> > Whether or not you believe that gun control increases (or decreases)
> > crime, the UK probably isn't a good choice for comparison.
>
> Which is true for nearly ... anywhere.

Indeed. But I was merely pointing out that a naive comparison between
the UK and the US crime figures is particularly problematic because of
the terrorism factor (I think you're trivialising the impact on a
society of 30 odd years of more or less continual terrorism).

No the UK isn't the only place to have experienced long periods of
active terrorism, but the US isn't one of them (note that I said long
periods).

> What works there doesn't work
> here and visa versa.

I'll admit that I'm an anti-gun nut, but in this particular instance I
intended to be neutral on that ... and just point out that without a
lot of work the UK crime statistics just say that crime has increased
over the last 30 years.

On a totally different subject, has anyone got any recommendations as
regards rack lifts ? People at work are all getting older, and have
decided that waving 50kilo servers around at head height isn't as much
fun as it used to be.