[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Fri Jul 18 12:46:40 CDT 2003

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez [mailto:lefa at ucsc.edu] on Friday, July 18,
2003 12:09 PM said;

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> > Oh no, I like the M60 - and it's little brother the M249.  Great guns.

> As long as you do not have to carry the M60, I didn't know the 249 was
> related to the 60. I personally did not like hte M60 that much, as I am
> more partial to the MG3/Amelis IMHO they get to concentrate the fire buch
> better, I could only get the M60 to behave in "spray paint mode", I have
> never used the 249 though... I heard at least has decent recoil behavior
> (unlike the 60) but the cadence of fire seems to be slow -again not my
> words since I have not used it-.

M249 is related to the M60 only by function; the 249 files the NATO 5.56
cartridge and (IIRC) is meant to be employed at the fire team level, the M60
fires 7.62 and is a squad level MG.

I never had much of a problem getting the '60 to stay on target, but I don't
have anything to compare it to, besides the M249.  The trick was to practice
proper marksmanship (clear front sight tip etc), hold the trigger down
exactly the way they taught in school <squeeze "fire a six to eight round
burst"release>.  Easy.  Marines who couldn't hit their mark with the MG were
usually violating good marksmanship practices.

As Kurt noted, the '60 is a two man weapon and the Asst Gunner is required
both to feed the weapon and to call out aiming corrections.  The M249 (to
me) had a light recoil and was a blast to shoot.

~brian