[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Thu Jul 17 17:55:23 CDT 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Brian Dunbar wrote:

> Nothing is ever simple.  Off the top of my head; Spanish empire in decline
> and active retreat, a horde of Anglo-Celts flooding the frontier with wierd
> notions of the Rights of Man and Democracy.

The Spanish empire was long gone before the Mexican American war. The fact
that the war name itself lists the parties involved in the matter should
give a clue.

> What is now the Southwest US was claimed by Spain and later Mexico but not
> settled, and not being used, to Anglo-Celt eyes.

Oh, the Southwest US (Or NorthWest Mexico which is what it originally was)
was pretty well settled, NewMexico was one of the most important "hubs"
during the Spanish control, as well as California. There were plenty of
settlements as high North as Oregon and Colorado. There were plenty of
Uto-Aztec natives too. So that part of the country was settled in, it so
happened that the settlers were not of Northern European stock... which I
guess that it counted as "unsettled" for them.

  Just a bloody clash of
> cultures, really.  They prettied it up by calling it Manifest Destiny, but
> that's what it was.

Yup... unfortunatelly the Indians and the Mexicans always got the worst
end of the deal.

Once I was going out with this girl and at some point she said that she
could not understand where all these [sic] damn Mexicans were coming from. I
though it was ironic because the comment was uttered while we were driving
up Figueroa Street, in Los Angeles, which is located in California :)...
hum... That gave me a clear indication I should stop dating sorority women
:) sometimes stupidity can not be made up with globs of "hotness"