[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Thu Jul 17 16:32:50 CDT 2003

vance at neurotica.com [mailto:vance at neurotica.com] on Thursday, July 17, 2003
4:12 PM

> What were the causes of the Mexican American War?  Were they legitimate,
> or was it a simple case of Manifest Destiny rearing its ugly head?

Nothing is ever simple.  Off the top of my head; Spanish empire in decline
and active retreat, a horde of Anglo-Celts flooding the frontier with wierd
notions of the Rights of Man and Democracy.

What is now the Southwest US was claimed by Spain and later Mexico but not
settled, and not being used, to Anglo-Celt eyes.  Just a bloody clash of
cultures, really.  They prettied it up by calling it Manifest Destiny, but
that's what it was.

Brian