[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Jul 17 16:18:43 CDT 2003

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 01:29 PM, Brian Dunbar wrote:

> Think about it this way - carrying a firearm, and being able to use
> it, was
> in the not-too-distant past where I'm from (Texas) a requirement if
> you were
> going live.  Indians, Bandits etc were a real hazard in my great
> granpa's
> era.
>
> A situation like that tends to have an effect for generations after in
> all
> manner of strange ways.

There are places in the Northern Territories of Canada, where
carrying a rifle is required because of the bear threat (and
let's not underestimate the power of a bull moose during rutting
season, either).  And this in a "gun controlled" nation.

The year my father-in-law passed away (about 5 years ago), a
large black bear was seen less than 100 yards from their house.
They were braving the homesteads because of the lack of rainfall
that year and low berry and other forage resulting.  Northern
Canada is very sparsely populated--you'd be luck to get an RCMP
officer to show up the *same day* a crime occurred.

Considering that the crime in the US is moving from metropolitan
to rural (think about why), you can see why 34 states in the US
now have "shall issue" concealed carry permit laws. ("Shall issue"
means that a permit must be issued unless there is reason to
reject it, such as mental illness, etc.)  Five others also issue
CCW's but they are not "shall issue" states.

=Nadine=