[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Thu Jul 17 15:36:25 CDT 2003

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez [mailto:lefa at ucsc.edu] on Thursday, July 17,
2003 3:06 PM said;

> > Simplifying greatly; People who have sympathy for the 'pro gun' point of
> > view place more emphasis in belief in the rights of the common man and
the
> > right of self determination.  Folks who sympathize with the 'anti gun'
> > argument are more statist and believe that the more control over the
> > individual the better.

> I tried to stay away from this, but I love the wording of your last
> sentence... I fail to see how you can make the extrapolation that since
> some people feel that ONE issue should be controlled (gun ownership), that
> these same people somehow advocate MORE control in general. I could apply
the
> same approach and claim that the pro-gun control people actually advocate
the
> most control over other individuals, since they want to be able to use a
> device that gives them the ultimate control over other people (i.e. their
> actual life).

Yah, stereotypes are dangerous, huh?  It's what I've observed, people in
general who favor gun control seem to be (as a general rule of thumb, YMMV)
in favor of more restrictive controls over the rest of the mob than those
who don't.

I think this quote from Scott Miller sums up my own feelings pretty well ..

"I'm not looking for a race war, or my government to come "pry it out of my
cold, dead fingers", I'm looking to make some noise and smell gun oil. I'm
listening to the sound of cold polished steel slide back and forth into
place with precision. I'm looking for a good grouping of shots in case Mr.
Intruder ever visits me."

~brian