[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 15:37:48 CDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:20:42 -0500
Brian Dunbar <Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com> wrote:
> Note that
> for most of our history, the US Army simply wasn't a very large force;
> militia and volunteer units did most of the fighting and disbanded as
> soon as practical after the war was "won", be that a formal declared
> war or simply putting down the latest indian war.

Pretty much the same (except for terminology) for the British Army,
although we opted for a large standing army slightly earlier. What with
Napoleon, India, and the US, somebody forgot to send a regiment home and
realised how useful they were when you've almost accidentally become an
empire.

Seems that governments tend to distrust even their own military forces.