[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Wed Jul 16 16:35:14 CDT 2003

Mike Meredith [mailto:mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk] on  Wednesday, July 16,
2003 4:32 PM said;

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:46:31 -0700 N.Miller <vraptor at promessage.com> wrote:
> > It's really too bad that the American public is not so well-educated
> > as it was at the time the Constitution was being put together.

> I somehow doubt the American public was better educated then. In 1870
> the illiteracy rate was 20% (in the US) and in 1979 the rate was 0.6%

But _where_ was the illiteracy rate 20% in the US?  It's never been a steady
upward progression, ever, in the US.  Literacy rates were above 90% in
Appalachia in the 1700s to early 1800s, for example.  I've got a reference
(and I'm no afraid to use it!) at home .. somewhere.

I think the trend was that the frontier had higher literacy rates that the
interior, but I'm not sure I extrapolated that or 'learnt' it.  It's
interesting that nearly the first thing any frontier community did was to
fund a schoolhouse.

> > And as Sun Tzu said, "Know thy enemy,"--the latest gun control
> > advocacy tactic is "firearm training".

> If you can shoot what you aim at, you've got the right level of gun
control.

> Hang on a minute, I'm anti-gun!

Yah, but you're a Geek and you can't stand to see someone mis-use a tool ...

~brian