[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Thu Jul 17 00:31:34 CDT 2003

Mike Meredith [mailto:mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk] on Wednesday, July 16,
2003 5:01 PM

> According to the US Office of Education's figures, it was a steady
> upwards progression from 1870-1979 except for one blip in 1950. Figures
> come from :-

> http://nces.ed.gov/naal/historicaldata/illiteracy.asp

> I wouldn't be too surprised if the literacy rates were somewhat higher
> before 1870, but I doubt it comes up to the rates of today. Mind you
> literate (in the sense of "not-illiterate") doesn't equate to being
> educated.

Cool data set.

It Depends is the best answer.  Folk on the frontier were usually well
educated within their environment, and commonly had a strong notion of
philosophical issues via more than casual study of the Bible.  I have the
notion that the common folk in the settled portions of the country were
rather less educated than their peers in the West, but I can't really say
why this would be so, unless there is something to the notion that grinding
poverty and endless 18 hour days in a sweat shop really get to your spirit

My own bias is skewed in that I've read more about the frontier and the
conditions therein, and less so as regards what was then the civilized East.
That and I'm suspicious of data gathered 'back when'.

~brian