[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Wed Jul 16 13:46:31 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 11:06 AM, Mike Meredith wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:47:36 -0500
> Brian Dunbar <Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com> wrote:
>> Which still doesn't guarantee that the cops will show up in time.  If
>> they can't guarantee light speed response the instant I need them to
>> protect me, then I have a moral responsibility to have the means to
>> protect myself and/or my family.  And my neighbors if they need.  Hey,
>> wait, that sounds like that-there militia thingee mentioned in the
>> Constitution ...
>
> The 2nd amendment ? You know that looks like a spectacularly dumb one
> ... because it's so vague and unspecific. "A well regulated militia,
> being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the
> people
> to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
>
> My understanding of that is that the people are allowed to keep and
> bear
> arms *specifically* so they can be raised as a militia to defend the
> state (which state? A US state ? Or the Federal state?). There's no
> indication that arms are permitted for self-protection, or for
> individual protection against the state.

The Federalist Papers (generally thought of as a clarification
of the thoughts of the framers of the Constitution) talk about
Amendment 2 quite extensively, as it was one of the big bones of
contention as the regards the Constitution.  Refer to 4, 29, 46.
Of course, the Anti-Federalist Papers also discuss Amendment 2
as well.

It's really too bad that the American public is not so well-educated
as it was at the time the Constitution was being put together.

And as Sun Tzu said, "Know thy enemy,"--the latest gun control
advocacy tactic is "firearm training".

=Nadine=