[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 12:37:13 CDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:00:15 -0500
Brian Dunbar <Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com> wrote:
> Phil Stracchino [mailto:alaric at caerllewys.net] on Tuesday, July 15,
> 2003 5:19 PM said
> ><offtopic>
> >Never *rely* on 911 services, period.  The Supreme Court ruled some
> >time ago that police departments, that nice "To Protect And Serve"
> >motto notwithstanding, have no "duty to protect" and cannot be held
> >reponsible for failing to protect you, even when answering an
> >emergency call, even if the reason they failed to protect you is
> >because they took 45 minutes to respond to the call.
> ></offtopic>

A legal "duty to protect" is a pretty drastic thing requiring an
infinite amount of resources to implement. A duty to make best-endevour
efforts to protect is something more reasonable.

If your police have no inclination to protect you, then it's time to a)
call them something else, b) organise a proper police force. And that's
whether or not you have guns at home to 'protect' yourself.

> A good argument _against_ gun control, I would think.

"Hitler". No that's not an accusation; just an attempt at Godwin's law.

(You won't convince the gun control nuts, and the gun control nuts won't
convince you)