[geeks] New SGI workstation

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jul 12 15:16:39 CDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 10:36:59AM -0700, N. Miller wrote:

> --On Friday, July 11, 2003 12:05 PM -0400 Charles Shannon Hendrix
> <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>
> >Remember that bean counters and board members don't give a damn about
> >technology, they only think about the bottom line.
>
> If only.  Two years ago, when my SO worked there as a contractor,
> the some high-level guy in finance got caught in an 'indiscretion'
[snip]

Understood... but that's not my point.

If the bean counters who are there decide that gutting SGI will save it,
that's what they'll do, with no regard for its value or any care that it
will just disappear into the mass of commodity systems.

I've heard a lot of stories about SGI too, and used to talk to some SGI
people quite a bit, so I've heard much the same thing.

But it does appear that some there are calling for scrapping a lot of
good stuff because they think that running with the herd will save them.

I think it will kill them myself.

> If they had bean counters who were serious about making money
> those people would be out on the street in a heartbeat.

Perhaps, but pure bean counting won't save a company either.

Sometimes the expensive decision is the one that allows you to survive.