[geeks] New SGI workstation

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jul 11 11:02:39 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 08:00:21AM +0200, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:

> "The new system should serve this niche well and help pay the bills as
> the company transitions to Intel's Itanic processor."
>
> Is this the raw fact? Are they really moving away from IRIX+Mips, that
> once made them unique?

I hope not. MIPS is one of the best processors around, far better than
this Intel backwards crap we've had to put up with for so long.

> I hope SOMEONE over there can think longer than his nose, cause the
> Altix is Just Another PeeCee(tm).

I don't know about that... SGI is so far the only company to get any
performance out of Itanic.

I wonder how Intel feels, having failed to do that themselves?

I don't really understand SGI's moves with Altix.  Doesn't make sense.
If they move to Intel CPUs, I think they'll just die.