[geeks] Discretion

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Tue Jul 8 17:29:29 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 01:50 PM, James wrote:

>> Wow.  That's remarkably lacking in ethics.  Do all buisnessmen think
>> this
>> way?
>> 	Nick
>>

> Just ask Dave McGuire :-)
>
> And yes, it is typical. There isn't much difference between business
> and
> war. In fact, they are deeply related sometimes! I do have ethics when
> dealing with employees. They are the civilian non-combatants of the
> world.
> Same goes for shareholders (not that I would ever be able to own a
> public
> company). A significant component of my company is our pro-bono
> services to
> public schools (already helping out two school systems). I do have
> very deep ethics, just not when it comes to competitors.

Being in the middle of legal proceedings with my ex-business
partners, I can assure you that while it's not uncommon for
business people to think this way, many do not.

The ones who do not, usually get burned pretty badly and do
very poorly in business.  The ones that do think this way,
and use the tactics to get ahead often get the same tactics
used against them.  Those that think this way, but still
deal with everyone honestly are hard to find, and gems if
you do.

Your best defense, as a business person, is to think like this,
and make everyone understand, when you are dealing with them
that you know and recognize this mindset. Then deal up front and
fairly with everyone.  That prevents people from taking advantage
of you while at the same time showing your good intentions.

You can get rich by screwing people over, but it's a lot harder
to do.  And once you get there, people know your reputation and
have no qualms about filing frivolous lawsuits against you, using
underhanded tactics, etc.

If you spread the wealth around as you are growing, you make a
lot of friends who will stand beside you when times are tough.

My two partners fell in the category of underhanded low-lifes.
They saw an opportunity to make a quick buck at little risk
to themselves, and tried to cut my husband and I out of the
business after we carried more than 50% of it from the
beginning.  No mercy for them, I'm afraid.  I've got a nasty
pack of sharks after them: lawyers (mine) and the piracy
police at the satellite TV companies.  If they are lucky
they will not get caught up in the current LE dragnet going
on wrt satellite piracy.

=Nadine=