[geeks] Sendmail question

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jan 26 17:11:45 CST 2003

On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 05:58 PM, Joacim Melin wrote:
> Actually, the Turbosparc (I think we discussed this here earlier) is a
> sort of bastard son of the Sparc family.

   In the Linux world, perhaps...but the Linux SPARC's kernel developers
inability to properly support that processor implementation does not
constitute that processor implementation being a "bastard son".  Every
other SPARC OS (and I mean *every* other SPARC OS) works just fine on
TurboSPARC, and has for many years.

>  It refuses to work with any Linux distribution except Ultrapenguin so
> I'm giving that a go right now.

   That is a bummer.  I hope they get it worked out soon...the
TurboSPARC is a nice chip, and the SS5/170 with its 512K L2 cache is a
*whole* lot zippier than the other members of the SS5 family.  I think
that'll make you a Damn Fine(tm) mail server if you get the OS issues
straightened out.

> I'd love an Octane but it would probably just sit on my desk beside my
> 15" TFT iMac and look cool and not fit into my rack in the basement.
> I got this SS5 for free complete with a 19" display, keyboard and
> mouse in mint condition so I'd thought I'd make use of it somehow.

   Now that's a good price. :-)  Yank the framebuffer...a server in a
rack doesn't need a windowing system, man!  Save the power, heat, and
CPU cycles!

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "Wear whatever you want...Just don't be surprised
St. Petersburg, FL        if you wind up with a blow-gun dart in your