[geeks] FS: Dell Laptop

David Selders david at malleable.org
Fri Jan 17 18:51:45 CST 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 05:28:42PM -0500, James wrote:
> At 01:22 PM 1/17/2003 -0800, you wrote:
> I have borrowed two different pairs of Tubbs that I liked. I found the
> 36inch pair worked better (I am not a lightweight at 220lbs). I originally
> borrowed them to solve a problem with my boat and its collapsed canopy (5
> feet of snow here so far) and I found snowshoeing to be great fun in the
> process. The Tubbs Mountain series seems to be a top-notch pair, but I also
> like what I see in Atlas. It may come down to what the local retailer
> sells. I know they carry Tubbs as they are advertising that they have a
> factory rep giving demos this weekend.

I have only used the Atlas and the MSR snowshoes.  I used to work at a shop
that sold both and rented the MSR's.  I don't have any experience with the
tubs.  I know that both the MSR and the Atlas shoes are pretty light.  The
advantage you get with the MSR's is that you can purchase the floattation
tails to add to the end of the shoe.  So on powder days you have the float
for your weight and on the days when the snow is packed and "hard" you can
shorten the shoe by removing the tail.  I will say the the MSR is pretty nosiy
on the snow since it is a plastic body.  The Atlas shoes like the 10 or 12
series are made from an aluminum frame.  The binding has a sort of spring
action that is make it easier to turn and walk in larger shoes.  If Tubbs is
doing a demo go down and take for a spin.

--
David Selders
david at malleable.org
Martinez, Ca