[geeks] Blender & Jashaka on IRIX

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jan 16 15:38:38 CST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 10:24:19PM +0100, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> This reminds me... Did you know that DirectFB (linux) uses textures for
> entire windows. There are no expose events (or something :-p ), the entire
> window is a texture :-)

Are you sure it is really using a video card hardware texturing for the
entire window?  At a decent resolution, you would run out of texture
memory very quickly on a 16meg card, and it would limit portability.
On the other hand, if you really did do it that way, I think that
copying part of the screen to a texture is supposed to be faster than
copying back to ram.

Also, off screen buffers that are still stored in the video memory but
aren't actual textures would be a possibility.  This would make for
faster blitting usually.

--
Joshua D. Boyd