[geeks] distributedfolding

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jan 13 18:26:59 CST 2003

On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 06:36 PM, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>>    Any geeks here involved in the distributed protein folding project
>> (http://www.distributedfolding.org)?  I'm wondering if there's a way
>> to get the SPARC client to deal with multiple CPUs, or if there's a
>> [clean] way to run multiple copies of the client other than simply
>> giving them different subdirectories.
>
> I'm very involved - as far as installed base goes.  I run it on a
> sparc,
> my Octane (note to self, download update), and a few Linux boxen.

   Cool.  How well does it run on your Octane?

> The 'cleanest' way I've found of doing multiple CPUs is to create a set
> of subdirs for each CPU.  Unfortunately, that's it.  There's no other
> way, that they mention or that I have found, to get the client to do
> SMP.

   Ok, no problem.  Thanks for the info.

   I'm now running three instances of it on a 3-proc E450, and two
instances of it on a dual-proc Ultra60.  I will probably put it on my
I^2 R10K/195 and maybe on a dual-proc Ultra2 as well, though its only
got 167MHz processors.

   I wonder if they'd listen to requests for a NetBSD/alpha client
distribution.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols