[geeks] Help me convert a computer illiterate to an iMac!

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jan 6 13:44:46 CST 2003

On Monday, January 6, 2003, at 01:46 PM, Michael Schiller wrote:
> for the last few years my mother has been running Win95 on an old
> 266mhz Compaq she bought a few years ago (back when that WAS a fast
> machine). I've been trying to get her to replace it with an iMac for
> some time now, but have always gotten some excuse usually amounting to
> she doesn't use the computer enough to warrant spending the money.
> Yesterday she called me to tell me she bought a new computer, an
> $1800.00 Sony Vaio !!!! I told her to pack it up, and return it ASAP,
> and get an iMac. She says that she only understands Windows, and the
> Mac would confuse her, and she wouldn't be able to understand it. She
> didn't say, but I'm sure the new machine has WinXP on it, which has to
> be quite a difference from Win95. I'm also pretty sure that she hasn't
> listened to me yet, so what I need is this:

   So she'll be confused by the consistent, stable system and she'd be
more comfortable with the inconsistent, unstable one?

> Can any of you give me some good reasons I can give her for returning
> the new Vaio and getting a 17" iMac instead? I've never used WinXP,
> and haven't used a PC that was faster than 400mhz (SunPCi), so I
> wonder if an 800mhz G4 would feel as fast as XP on  one of those newer
> PCs (I don't know the speed, but I would imagine it's close to 2ghz)

   - faster

   - more stable software

   - better built/more reliable hardware (no, eMacs don't count)

   - VERY intuitive...About 1.5yrs ago, I watched a five-year-old kid
pick up a mouse on a Mac OS X box and figure out how to send email,
start a web browser, and find pictures of elephants on the web in under
ten minutes.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols