[geeks] Pegasos PPC ATX board

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Mon Jan 6 10:55:27 CST 2003

On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 05:32 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Err, I don't really ever recall early amiga users as being really into
> video production.  My impression was that was just a side effect of the
> way they designed it for affordability.  From what I've seen, people
> didn't start really going ape over video for the Amiga until after the
> toaster came out, although I'm sure it would have been decent for
> titling prior to the toaster.

Josh,

You're showing your age! (or lack  of it)! The Amiga was into video
LONG before the toaster came about. There was a card called the
Framegrabber (I believe, this is from memory) that displayed a single
field or frame, and was used for recording animations one frame at a
time, there were various genlocks, Chromakeys, as well as other special
purpose cards / devices just for video production. (I personally wasn't
into video all that much, but the Amiga dealer I was friends with was.
These were all out, and in use by many professional video shops LONG
before the Toaster showed up. I remember that the Toaster was NewTek's
vaporware for a LONG time.

Of course the Amiga was also used for gaming quite a bit as well, not
to mention that it had a multitasking GUI that ran within 512k of
memory back in 1985, long before Multimedia was discovered by microsoft
:)

The Amiga was a classic example of really nice hardware / OS being
killed by suits.

-Mike