[geeks] PC question

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri Feb 21 13:30:13 CST 2003

On Friday 21 February 2003 20:18, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> Kevin <kevin at mpcf.com> wrote:
> > It appears that the mobo on my dual 450 PIII is on it's way to
> > mobo heaven (note to self: never buy another Gigabyte board)
> > and it's time to build a new box.  I haven't stayed current
> > with all this mess since '99, so if anyone has any good
> > recommendations on mobos and chips i am all ears.

Actually Gigabyte is far from the worst. If you want quality PC mobo's (as far
as that's possible ;-) ) buy Asus. They're also a lot more expensive. I have
no idea at all about multi cpu boards however.

> I'm not a peecee geek by any stretch, but I've had some very good luck with
> AOpen motherboards.  IIRC, the make boards for Athlon and Intel chips.  I
> have a DX-34 Plus that I plan to make into a central server for the house
> (or something), and an AX45-8xn that's running a P4 right now as my game
> system.  I also have an AOpen GeForce Ti4200 video card that I'm thoroughly
> impressed with.

Aopen usualy go for "tried and tested". They make stable boards, but
performance isn't top-of-the-line.

Imho nvidia is a bad choice if you run linux though. Their linux drivers are
decent but proprietary, and I have a bit a "sixties" view on companies that
think they can decide what os you run
:-)

--
Frank Van Damme