[geeks] Bye bye ATARI.... (closing down)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Feb 12 08:00:15 CST 2003

Bjorn Ramqvist <v53278 at g.haggve.se> wrote:
> However, is that article about the end of Atari Times, Atari Museum or
> Atari (corporation) in general? It's not that it's 100% clear. From what
> I know, Atari just brought the PC-gaming crowd one of the most awaited
> games this year, Unreal II, and that have just hit the shelves. (Great
> game actually, but dissapointing end)

Apparently Midway Games West, which used to be Atari Games Corporation and
is now part of Midway Inc., is the one closing.  Midway Games West is *not*
Atari - though I understand that some of the employees that were laid off
had been employees of the company back when it *was* Atari.  Atari is
actually part of InfoGrames now.

Atari, it seems, is an entirely seperate company now that focuses on PC and
Console games.  Midway Games West appears to have been arcade-style consoles
only, and perhaps aided in developement of personal console games.

--
Kurt                 " Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to flagellate
kurt at k-huhn.com        myself with a soldering iron."