[geeks] Re: Windows XP?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 8 23:26:33 CST 2003

--- Kurt Huhn <kurt at k-huhn.com> wrote:
> Do you have experience with license managers?  I'm guessing htat
> you've never been up for two days straight fighting with one to
> get some precious production data out of a piece of software
> dependent upon one.

Yes - 15 of my last 20 years in the software business (On-Line
Software, Computer Associates, Bellcore/Telcordia), but always as a
producer, not a user (which causes a certain myopia, I am sure)

When we had software licenses, we always had a way for the client to
get one if they needed it (800 number, fax-back, emergency license good
for a limited time, or even little devices you turned on and gave you a
one-time, 15 day license, sorta like a SecureID card).

We never left our clients in the lurch, but then again, we were dealing
with serious six or seven-figure software/maint. contracts, our
software couldn't go down for two days (as in your cited example...
Hell, if enough phone service is affected, telcos have to notify the
FCC - telcos don't like to do that.

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com