[geeks] Re: Windows XP?

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri Feb 7 10:33:38 CST 2003

On Friday, February 7, 2003, at 09:47  AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Kurt, I hope you realize I was in full Dave McGuire mode while writing
> this, that and I jsut finished reading Rebel Code (a decent read, but
> don't pay full price for the book - it was worth the $8 I paid, but not
> the $27.95 the publisher tried to get when it first came out...)...
>
> Complaining about the choices you made, well, reflect badly on you. I
> know, you choose not to install XP, and that reflects well, but your
> rant was a bit misplaced, IMHO.

HE's perfectly allowed to rant about the OS he didn't install... as you
said one puts oneself in a jail.  Kurt chose a different jail and is
ranting about the one he didn't choose.

Most companies activate products... but once activated, they STAY
activated.  The company also doesn't have a very obvious (disclosed)
backdoor in order to deactivate your product.  Granted Adobe is
starting to get nasty like this too, most companies operate on a trust
basis (which in the long run doesn't decrease profits too much via
theft of software).  It's this iron-fisted big brother is watching
attitude that will hurt future sales.  The inconvenience of WPA is also
compounded by the fact that it is not one number but two that must be
entered... first the product key and then an activation key which is
generated randomly each time.

Andrew