[geeks] Wireless desktop machine?

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Sat Feb 8 09:58:49 CST 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 10:43, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Sure, laziness entered into it, but for a real non-technical user,
> getting an Airport, hooking it up to their broadband/dial-up connection
> and then simply putting wireless computers anywhere they want is a
> strong incentive to network.

In my case, I already had an access point, but I didn't have any Cat 5
or hubs or switches (lost by the movers).  I was all set to go buy the
cable and a cheap switch, and when I did the math I realized it was
actually cheaper for me to buy two 802.11b cards.

> Remeber the original iMac TV ads? "Step 1, plug in the iMac, Step 2,
> connect the phone line, Step 3 - there is no step three!" I think that
> was effective marketing...

And with wireless, it now becomes: Step 1, plug in the Mac.  Okay,
you're done.

Caleb

--
Caleb Shay                                   "UNIX _IS_ user friendly.