[geeks] Wireless desktop machine?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 8 09:43:54 CST 2003

--- Ross Alexander <ross at two-cats.net> wrote:
> * Michael Schiller:
> > is there some reason to keep the airport card in the iMac, and go
> > and spend the money for another airport card for the iBook?
>
> Only reason I can think of is to make the iMac a base station, but it
> sounds like you already have that covered.

Well, if I expand the question to "Why would anyone use wireless
networking on a desktop computer?", then my answer would be that I use
one in my son's computer, since it was easier to set up than running
cat 5 through a kids room and securing it (from him pulling on it)...

Sure, laziness entered into it, but for a real non-technical user,
getting an Airport, hooking it up to their broadband/dial-up connection
and then simply putting wireless computers anywhere they want is a
strong incentive to network.

Remeber the original iMac TV ads? "Step 1, plug in the iMac, Step 2,
connect the phone line, Step 3 - there is no step three!" I think that
was effective marketing...

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com