[geeks] access point questions

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Tue Feb 4 23:31:10 CST 2003

While on the subject of access points, I have a question.

A while back I got a wavelan card for my tadpole, it turns out to be
the external antenna module for a Wavepoint II access point. I manage
to get the tadpole to recognise it, can ifconfig it, etc. at this point
I decide to try and get it going, so I find a WavepointII access point,
and I buy another wavelan card that's not the EAM (the 'antenna'
portion looks very similiar to module on the EAM, but in a plastic box,
not a metal one). No go. couldn't get the ap to recognise the tadpole.
While this was going on, I also got a wavelan bronze card (actually
before I got the proper wavelan card for the tadpole). I basically give
up, figuring that the tadpole's drivers must be flaky, or something.

Now I have an iMac, and I added an airport card into it, figuring that
I could be able to talk to the wavepoint with it, and the bronze card.
Well, I get the same results as I got with the tadpole, nothing! So my
first question is: Is the airport card compatible with the bronze card,
or does it have to be the silver or gold cards? If the bronze card IS
compatible with the airport card, how can I tell which piece of
equipment isn't working? I'm tending to think the Wavepoint isn't
working, as I had no success with either computer I tried to talk to it
with. I liked the idea of the wavepoint, as it can take 2 cards, so I
can (supposedly) put an older wavelan card in it, and a newer one, so
my tadpole, and imac could both use the same ap.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

-Mike