[geeks] Two access points, no waiting...

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Tue Feb 4 21:48:16 CST 2003

Well, with my linksys WAP11's I had to set the second one (the one NOT
attached to the wireless network) to be a "Wireless Bridge".  It was one
of the options in the GUI.

Caleb

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 22:41, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to add a second accesspoint to my home network, and I'm a
> bit confused - here's what I have:
>
> BEFSR41 (broadband connectivity to DSL line) feeding out to wired
> network.
>
> Upstairs, I have a WAP11 (wireless access point), that connects up most
> of the house (some dead/poor spots - the reason for the change).
>
> I also have a Cable/DSL Router/Access Point (Linksys, but don't know
> model off the top of my head) that I want to deploy and "fill-in" the
> dead spots...
>
> Here's the question: How do I configure the second wireless access
> point? Do I use the same SSID "string" and channel as the "active"
> access point? Or, do I set them to different channels and set them to
> the same SSID "string"?
>
> I can't find any guidance in the Linksys manuals, as they assume you
> will have only one WAP per home...
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance - I don't want to just rip out my
> connectivity without knowing what I'm doing...
>
> =====
> Lionel
>
> "Nothing would please me more than being able to hire ten
> programmers and deluge the hobby market with good software"
> Bill Gates, in "An OpenLetter to Hobbyists" dated February 3, 1976
> http://mailplus.yahoo.com
Caleb Shay                                   "UNIX _IS_ user friendly.
Programmer/System Administrator              It's just particular about
Providence, RI                               who its friends are."