[geeks] Two access points, no waiting...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 4 21:41:23 CST 2003

Hi all,

I am trying to add a second accesspoint to my home network, and I'm a
bit confused - here's what I have:

BEFSR41 (broadband connectivity to DSL line) feeding out to wired
network.

Upstairs, I have a WAP11 (wireless access point), that connects up most
of the house (some dead/poor spots - the reason for the change).

I also have a Cable/DSL Router/Access Point (Linksys, but don't know
model off the top of my head) that I want to deploy and "fill-in" the
dead spots...

Here's the question: How do I configure the second wireless access
point? Do I use the same SSID "string" and channel as the "active"
access point? Or, do I set them to different channels and set them to
the same SSID "string"?

I can't find any guidance in the Linksys manuals, as they assume you
will have only one WAP per home...

Thanks in advance for any assistance - I don't want to just rip out my
connectivity without knowing what I'm doing...

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com