[geeks] Avoiding Blowhard Syndrome redux..

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Sun Feb 2 15:56:47 CST 2003

*sigh*  I'm going to take incoming missile fire for this one but...

> Well, I take offense to your posts because they're made by an
> insufferable
> egomaniac. You're annoying me to me. Kind of like a fucking flea that I
> can't get rid of. Your posts are filled with nothing but bullshit,
> blather, boasting, and idiocy. You actually seem to think that most of
> us
> here want to see you talk about yourself. We don't. We'd rather go a
> week
> between Chris Byrne egopost-fests. I'm serious. You're fucking annoying.

The point - at least the one I was working towards - was to help Chris
understand and moderate what he posts.  Cutting his head off does
nothing to solve the solution.
In fact all cutting people's heads off does is leave you with a pile of
corpses and people who walk a wide path around you because you cut heads
off.

> Your entire posts are nothing but "I did this" or "I studied that" or "I
> worked here". Count the number of "I's" sometime; if it doesn't concern
> you personally it's apparently not worth talking about!

We all do this - I'VE done this on more than a few occasions.  Sometimes
the things that are going on around us are far more important than
things far away.  Chris posts, from what I've seen, because these things
are always in his face.  Thus they occupy a greater importance in his
mind.  He posts here because he trusts people here and knows people will
listen even if they don't always agree.

 From his previous posts about Copyright I suspect he's starting up a
blog and most of the life stuff he posts here will most likely end up
there.

> Most people here are utterly convinced you're just a pathological liar.
> You might be nice in person, I dunno, but on here you come across as an
> annoying pud. So give us a rest from the life of Chris Byrne, please.

*sigh*  This sort of attack - and it IS an attack - should have gone to
him off-list.  I know you're going to be angry with me for saying this
but isn't this the attitude that you complained others said about you?

Mike Hebel